The JLPT provides special testing accommodations for applicants who are not able to take the test under normal test conditions due to their disabilities. If you would like to request special testing accommodations in Japan, please read the following details.
1. How to apply for special testing accommodations
(1) Applications must be made by mail. Please obtain the Application Guide (Application Forms) at a bookstore.
* Applications via the Internet are not available.
(2) Please call the Application Center as soon as possible during the application period in order to receive the "Request Form for Special Testing Accommodations".
(3) Fill in the required information in the "Request Form for Special Testing Accommodations". Please also provide a copy of your disability certificate or a medical certificate issued by a doctor (a copy is acceptable).
* If you would like accommodations that are not listed on the "Request Form for Special Testing Accommodations", make sure to contact the Application Center before application.
* Please provide explanations in Japanese for certificates that are not in Japanese.
(4) Please submit the "Request Form for Special Testing Accommodations", the required documents, and the application form as soon as possible to the Application Center.
JEES cannot accommodate applications for special testing accommodations if they are made after the application period or after an application is made online.
*If you are obliged to require special testing accommodations due to an accident or other reasons (a traffic accident, a personal injury, or a disease) that may occur after submitting your application, please contact the Application Center by phone as soon as possible.
Please note that Japan
Educational Exchanges and Services (hereinafter referred to as "JEES") may not be able to accommodate your
requests due to test site conditions or other unavoidable reasons.
2. Process leading to acceptance of special testing accommodations
(1) JEES will hold discussions with specialists and decide on the details of the special testing accommodations based on documents provided by the applicant.
(2) If there is not information to make a decision, additional information may be requested.
(3) The applicant or their representative will be notified of the details of the special arrangements with a "Notification of the decision for special testing accommodations". As a result of discussions with specialists, there may be cases where the arrangements may differ from those requested by the applicant.
(4) Depending on the circumstances of the facility, the test site may not be one that is closest to the applicant.
(5) The applicant should confirm the details of the decision and make sure to bring the "Notification of the decision for special testing accommodations" and the "Test voucher" on the day of the test.
3. Details of the special testing accommodations
(1) Specially formatted questions (Braille questions, large font questions)
(2) Special answer methods (Braille, large print answer sheet)
(3) Extended test times
(4) Testing in a separate room
(5) Use of assistive devices (magnifiers, hearing aids, headphones, etc.)
(6) Other arrangements deemed appropriate by JEES
Braille Test Booklet Lending Service
JEES loans out, free of charge, Braille test booklets and listening comprehension CDs for the JLPT to persons with visual disabilities who require the use of Braille or their representative.
Please see here for details.